JOYful & Encouraging – When we feel good in our body, we are strong, centered, peaceful, confident and JOYful. We understand the value of bigger, stronger, faster, lighter, but this practice is about bending so you don’t break, finding your inner strength, becoming flexible, centered, grounded and being authentic. We show up on our mats exactly as we are. Sometimes that is strong, centered, balanced and flexible; others it is tired, sad, hurt, sick, broken, slow, clumsy. Each practice, we take time to observe where we are and who we are. We show our mind, body and spirit grace as we practice and honor where we are today as much as who we are becoming.
Practice – Learn – Grow
- Rise, Flow & Shine– Get the energy in your mind, body & spirit flowing and set the tone for your entire day. Flow through intuitive mindful movements in which the asanas (poses) and prana (the breath) are inter-connected. We move and breathe taking time to pause and feel, observe and adjust. Set in a warm room with inspiring music. We will challenge you, but the poses are accessible and EnJOYed by all levels.
- Good Morning Sunshine – Start your day with a warm vigorous flow that will energize and center you. Expect to move with your breath and focus your attention. Use this class to kick start your day. Feel rested, relaxed and ready for anything. All levels welcome. Modifications and extensions of poses will be available. EnJOYed by all levels.
- Burn & Bliss – Our JOYful version of a YinYasa (Yin and Vinyasa) fusion class. Class begins with a breathing meditation and then a warm and challenging and heart opening Vinyasa practice followed by a slow and grounding Yin sequence. Discover the power and freedom that comes with strength and release. EnJOYed by all levels.
- Calming & Candlelight Yin – A slow and gentle candlelight practice with slow Yin holds which open the connective tissues of your body. You will hold each pose for longer periods of time for deep rejuvenation and we will close with a mind melting meditation to prepare you for sweet dreams. EnJOYed by all levels
- JOYFlow – Our signature slow flow warm burn class. We use mindful flowing movements in which the asanas (poses) and prana (the breath) are inter-connected. This class has the feel of a typical Vinyasa while slowing down the pace of the class. You will move mindfully while building both strength and balance on the yoga mat that you can carry with you for a more JOYful BEing. EnJOYed by all levels.
- Joyful Foundation- This is a slow-moving warm class with focus on basic yoga postures, proper alignment and breath work. In this class you will increase your balance, flexibility, strength and breathing techniques. It’s great for beginners, seniors or anyone new or wanting to fine tune their practice. Modifications are offered as well as more challenging variations of each posture. Everyone works at their own ability and comfort level.
- JOY Restored (Yin) – Experience the relaxing and refreshing wonder of traditional Yin Yoga, a slow, calm, passive stretching practice that emphasizes mindful breathing and holding postures 3-6 minutes with a focus on connective tissues; fascia, tendons, ligaments and bones. In this class we will practice the 3 principles of Yin which are: 1) we get into the pose to our edge 2) we release into the pose and remain still; focusing on our breath 3) we hold the pose for the allotted time. Yin will provide you with reduced stress and anxiety, it calms and balances the body, increases circulation, improves flexibility and joint mobility and is a great practice to unwind of for athletes to balance their more active (yang) workouts. EnJOYed by all
- JOYFlow Burn – You will be guided through a flowing practice in a heated room to upbeat music. This class moves faster than JOYFlow, but the teacher will guide you while offering modifications to make it easier or more advanced. This class is a workout for the mind, body and soul. Come to move, breathe, build strength and let go. EnJOYed by all levels.
How to prepare for class:
- Come well-hydrated and avoid caffeinated products (including green and black teas) a few hours prior to a hot class. Caffeine dehydrates the body and can increase heart-rate.
- Eat a light snack/meal 1–2 hours before a hot class. Fruit, granola/protein bars, or half a peanut butter sandwich are good options. Think light!
- Eating snacks or meals before a non-heated class depends on each student. Some prefer an empty stomach, while others may want a snack prior to class. Avoid heavy or greasy meals.
- Bring a yoga mat. For hot yoga, bring a towel large enough to cover your mat.
- You may want to bring an additional towel for showering or to dry off with after class.
- Bring at least one large bottle of water. Filtered water is available if you need to refill your water bottle. Bottled water is also available for purchase.
- Wear clothing that is comfortable to move, stretch, and sweat in. Materials that breathe and wick away moisture are most suitable.
- For hot yoga, you may want to bring a change of clothes for after class. You will be sweaty!
- Shoes and socks are not worn in class. (You may wear socks, but please be aware that you may slip and slide.)
- Blocks, straps, and blankets are provided for your use. If you prefer your own props, please feel free to bring them.
- If you have never been to our studio, please arrive at least 15 minutes before your class so that you can fill out paperwork and ask questions. Our staff will welcome you and give you a tour.
- Online sign-up is available on our website and our Joy Studios App and recommended to secure your spot, especially during peak class times.
- Changing rooms with showers are available for both women and men. All changing rooms have secure lockers and storage areas for your use. You can touch-up after class in our change rooms or use the facility to fully prepare for your day.
We are a very relaxed and welcoming studio and have never found the need for lots of rules, but we like to respect the practice for everyone, so here are a few things you can expect in our classes.
- Remove your shoes before entering the studio.
- Bring your water bottle in with you, and sip from it as needed throughout class.
- Turn off your cell phone. Instructors go to great lengths to provide a calming ambiance.
- Arrive early and introduce yourself to the instructor. Let him/her know it’s your first class and that you might need extra guidance for proper pose alignment. Communicate any injuries you have so that he/she can suggest pose modifications for you.
- Use the restroom before class to avoid interruptions later. If you must excuse yourself mid-class, do so as quietly as possible.
- Skip the perfume. The co-mingling of 20 people’s perfumes can be overwhelming, especially for those sensitive to fragrance.
- Respect savasana. If you must leave class early for some reason, do so before the class relaxes into corpse pose.