JOYful & Encouraging – When we feel good in our body, we are strong, centered, peaceful, confident and JOYful. We understand the value of bigger, stronger, faster, lighter, but this practice is about bending so you don’t break, finding your inner strength, becoming flexible, centered, grounded and being authentic. We show up on our mats exactly as we are. Sometimes that is strong, centered, balanced and flexible; others it is tired, sad, hurt, sick, broken, slow, clumsy. Each practice, we take time to observe where we are and who we are. We show our mind, body and spirit grace as we practice and honor where we are today as much as who we are becoming.
Practice – Learn – Grow
JOY Restored (Yin) This is our JOYful Yin class, experience the relaxing and refreshing wonder of traditional Yin Yoga, a slow, calm, passive stretching practice that emphasizes mindful breathing and holding postures 3-6 minutes with a focus on connective tissues; fascia, tendons, ligaments and bones. In this class we will practice the 3 principles of Yin which are: 1) we get into the pose to our edge 2) we release into the pose and remain still; focusing on our breath 3) we hold the pose for the allotted time. Yin will provide you with reduced stress and anxiety, it calms and balances the body, increases circulation, improves flexibility and joint mobility and is a great practice to unwind and for athletes to balance their more active (yang) workouts. EnJOYed by all levels. Room temp comfortably warm 75-80 degrees.
JOYul Burn (Vinyasa) – You will be guided through a flowing practice in a heated room to upbeat music. This class moves faster than JOYFlow and the room is warmer, but the teacher will guide you while offering modifications to make it easier or more advanced with the option to flow on your own at points. This class is a workout for the mind, body and soul. Come to move, breathe, build strength and let go. Hydrate before and during class. Perfect for those looking for the most challenging and sweaty class. Room temp is 95 degrees.
Candlelight Yin – A gentle candlelight practice with slow Yin holds which open the connective tissues of your body. You will hold each pose for longer periods of time for deep rejuvenation and we will close with a mind melting meditation and soothing essential oils to prepare you for sweet dreams. EnJOYed by all levels. Room temp comfortably warm 75-80 degrees.
YogaFit Express – This class is a 45-minute EXPRESS yoga that is a great way release the stress of life! We will focus on strength and balance starting with traditional flows and asanas and incorporating the use of bands, weights, balls, blocks and/or other props. Build your lean and defined yoga body here! EnJOYed by all levels. Room temp comfortably warm 75-80 degrees.
JOYful Union – Slow Flow and Vinyasa met and fell in love and this class is the result! It combines the best of Slow Flow & Vinyasa with a Vinyasa style warm up followed by fully guided, slow, mindful movements linked with your breath. This one will engage your mind, body and spirit, making you sweat and feel the burn and then leaving you feeling peaceful, relaxed and accomplished. EnJOYed by all levels. Some knowledge of postures is helpful but not necessary. Room temp is 95 degrees.
Gentle JOY (Basic)- Learn and/or perfect your basic yoga poses. This class will focus on form with a slower pace, lots of guidance and an emphasis on breath and alignment. This is the perfect class for beginners or any level student looking to improve their practice by getting back to basics. Room temperature is comfortably warm at 80 degrees.
JoyFlow (Slow Flow) – Our signature warm slow flow class. We use mindful flowing movements in which the asanas (poses) and prana (the breath) are inter-connected. This class has the feel of a typical Vinyasa while slowing down the pace of the class. You will move mindfully while building both strength and balance on the yoga mat that you can carry with you for a more JOYful BEing. EnJOYed by all levels. 85-degree room.
PiYo – PiYo is a hybrid, athletic workout, which combines the mind/body practices of yoga and Pilates, as well as the principles of stretch, strength training, conditioning and dynamic movement. During a PiYo class, you will find yourself standing in a yoga pose one minute, and down on the floor in a Pilates pose the next! EnJOYed by all levels. 75-degree room.
Buti Yoga– Sorry guys, this class is for women only! If you have never taken yoga, we recommend taking a few Intro to flow classes before taking Buti Yoga. Buti Yoga is a movement practice that fuses power yoga, cardio infused tribal dance, plyometrics & deep abdominal training into a high-intensity workout combined with upbeat music that transforms the body from the inside out. We train the core using the Spiral Structure technique created by Founder Bizzie Gold that transforms the way the body looks and performs almost instantly. The word “buti” is a marathi word that means “to cure something hidden below the surface.” Challenge yourself to free your mind and your hips during this FUN and challenging sweat fest! Class is 45-minutes followed by optional meditation and Savasana. 85-degree room.
How to prepare for class:
- Come well-hydrated and avoid caffeinated products (including green and black teas) a few hours prior to a hot class. Caffeine dehydrates the body and can increase heart-rate.
- Eat a light snack/meal 1–2 hours before a hot class. Fruit, granola/protein bars, or half a peanut butter sandwich are good options. Think light!
- Eating snacks or meals before a non-heated class depends on each student. Some prefer an empty stomach, while others may want a snack prior to class. Avoid heavy or greasy meals.
- Bring a yoga mat. For hot yoga, bring a towel large enough to cover your mat.
- You may want to bring an additional towel for showering or to dry off with after class.
- Bring at least one large bottle of water. Filtered water is available if you need to refill your water bottle. Bottled water is also available for purchase.
- Wear clothing that is comfortable to move, stretch, and sweat in. Materials that breathe and wick away moisture are most suitable.
- For hot yoga, you may want to bring a change of clothes for after class. You will be sweaty!
- Shoes and socks are not worn in class. (You may wear socks, but please be aware that you may slip and slide.)
- Blocks, straps, and blankets are provided for your use. If you prefer your own props, please feel free to bring them.
- If you have never been to our studio, please arrive at least 15 minutes before your class so that you can fill out paperwork and ask questions. Our staff will welcome you and give you a tour.
- Online sign-up is available on our website and our Joy Studios App and recommended to secure your spot, especially during peak class times.
- Changing rooms with showers are available for both women and men. All changing rooms have secure lockers and storage areas for your use. You can touch-up after class in our change rooms or use the facility to fully prepare for your day.
We are a very relaxed and welcoming studio and have never found the need for lots of rules, but we like to respect the practice for everyone, so here are a few things you can expect in our classes.
- Remove your shoes before entering the studio.
- Bring your water bottle in with you, and sip from it as needed throughout class.
- Turn off your cell phone. Instructors go to great lengths to provide a calming ambiance.
- Arrive early and introduce yourself to the instructor. Let him/her know it’s your first class and that you might need extra guidance for proper pose alignment. Communicate any injuries you have so that he/she can suggest pose modifications for you.
- Use the restroom before class to avoid interruptions later. If you must excuse yourself mid-class, do so as quietly as possible.
- Skip the perfume. The co-mingling of 20 people’s perfumes can be overwhelming, especially for those sensitive to fragrance.
- Respect savasana. If you must leave class early for some reason, do so before the class relaxes into corpse pose.